The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

February 28, 2011

New And Unexpected Things Can Often Surprise Us


Today was really a great day. I tried something that I never would have imagined myself doing, ever! Not that there's anything wrong with it, but well here it is, Bartending School! I know..."What!?!" So random and yet oddly appropriate for where I'm at right now. I have applied to Grad school, but that won't start until the Fall (if I get in), and I have sent out what feels like hundreds upon hundreds of resumes only to be left sadly waiting by the phone praying to get a nibble, an interview, or any acknowledgement whatsoever for that matter.

Because most of my experience lies in the restaurant industry (and non-profit sector as well), and assuming I will get into school, in which case I could not possibly work full-time, I will honestly make the most money and have a more flexible schedule working at a restaurant/bar than an office of sorts. Well I have done my research and the San Francisco School of Bartending is a legitimate, organized, and well-run school. I even got to attend the first class for free today, and I had a great time. The environment was not intimidating in the least, work-spaces were extremely clean, teachers were knowledgable and professional - yes, I am a happy camper!

If you want to work in restaurants, especially if you are in a big city such as SF, it is absolutely essential that your beverage knowledge and know-how is up to par. My previous experiences as a server were great, but I always felt extremely lacking when it came to alcohol and drink knowledge, which really holds you back. This school also does employment workshops, job-placement assistance upon graduation, and you have the opportunity to work behind a real bar before you graduate. AND they teach essential register knowledge that is a must in this industry (POS). All of my fellow aspiring drink-makers were as friendly and nice as can be.

Truly, I never thought about bartending school before. I jumped into this on a whim and am completely stoked to be apart of it. I'm looking forward to class tomorrow! Oh, and I also managed to get in a good jog before class, so no excuses to slack off on exercising this week. It feels so good to get out there in the morning and I encourage everyone to find a way to integrate exercise into your everyday life. It is especially good to do in the mornings otherwise, ehh, as it gets later and later we just don't feel like doing it anymore, which is understandable after a long day. So get out there early and you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo Bartending School! Lize I am so stoked for you! This sounds like a great opportunity for you, as well as being a pretty fun job. I'm so happy you also got out there and ran! lol I've been trying so hard to wake up early enough to at least take some walks on the beach; but every morning when my alarm goes off its so cold and I just roll over and go back to bed! So props to you for getting out there! I miss you so much and I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to see ya love!

    ReplyDelete