The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

March 2, 2011

Strange thing to "wake up on the wrong side of the bed," isn't it?

"It's going to be one of those days"

Yesterday was just one of those days where you wake up feeling like you wish it was already over. It's a strange feeling to have after the previous day felt so exciting and joyous. But alas, this happens sometimes and we simply have to get through it. 

Yesterday when I woke up, I realized that I had managed to get out for a morning run 4 days out of the previous week, which for me is awesome. So it was strange waking up with a seriously strong aversion to the idea of getting up and venturing out for a healthy jog. I think I may have felt this way because, when we experience success we suddenly fear that we will lose it and fail. Since we have proven to ourselves that we can accomplish something, the pressure to continue suddenly feels immense and like a burden. I know they say that life is hard, but I can't for the life of me figure out why we put this pressure on ourselves. On the one hand maybe we do it as a way to overcome obstacles out there in the world; the world won't throw us any slack, so why treat ourselves any different? As humans we have a natural inclination to rise up in the face of challenges, meet the demands of society and our busy lives, and embody the best version of ourselves as often as we can manage. So in this sense, we need to put pressure on ourselves so as never to slip up - always on our toes, skipping, smiling, and throwing punches along the way - it's exhausting. But perhaps it is necessary to "survive" out there.

I don't know. What I do know is that when we are feeling doubtful, unsure, inferior, and generally blue all over there's one thing that can turn the day around, it's going to sound cheesy, but for me that thing is love. It's my family and my friends that I know will love me no matter how many times I fail. If I don't exercise for one day or fail to land a job, they won't love me any less. At the end of your life, this is what matters - the love you felt for your family and friends and the love they gave you in return. Most of us naturally want to succeed, so that daily motivation that at times can be hard to find, will continue to come each and every day; we don't have to worry about that. The relationships that make us who we are and fill us with so much appreciation for life is what matters the most. It is what will help us to get through each day with a sincere smile and sense of gratitude, because there is nothing fake about the love we feel for our family and good friends - they are enough to get us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment