The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

April 8, 2011

The Interview....

In order to get a job, there is often one crucial thing you must do, and must do well -- the interview, DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUN *Insert deep dramatic sigh here.* It's not that I don't like speaking to a group of strangers about why I am so great, but ehhh, who am I kidding? I don't! Some people love the opportunity to talk on and on about all of their achievements. I am not one of those people. The whole process makes me tense. I consider myself a humble person. I like to give credit but sometimes have a hard time receiving it. I know that I'm too hard on myself, but I'm just not one of those people who thinks she's got it all figured out and is so super duper cool; the fact that I just said "super duper" probably proves my point. However, when walking into an interview, one must possess great confidence and not be afraid to boast about all aspects of one's "remarkable" self.

The duration of an interview is usually around 45-60 minutes, which is quite a long time to be talking about yourself, and specifically to be channeling your most "stressful," "significant," or "challenging" moments from past work experiences. I find this to be extremely difficult. I could spend hours the night before prepping for any possible question they throw at me, but where would the spontaneity be in that?! And furthermore, I wouldn't want them to judge me based on some pre-rehersed script that I've carefully planned out. I like to think that interviewers value the ability of the interviewee to answer their questions with honesty and spontaneity. That being said, I realize more and more how nervous I get when being interviewed. And I must say, no matter how many times you've done it before, it doesn't hurt to at least take some time to bring relevant memories to the forefront so you're not caught off guard.

I went to an interview yesterday, and fear that nerves got the better of me. It can be difficult to speak eloquently and have the right words flow, especially when you are nervous. It was rather comical actually, I found myself trying to "communicate" the idea that I was a good "communicator," but finding it nearly impossible to "communicate" this to them. In other words, the WORDS were not flowing gracefully AT ALL. Despicable. Juuuuuust despicable.

BUT, overall it was a good experience. The people who interviewed me were extremely nice and made me feel comfortable. I think I just need more practice and definitely to gain confidence. I know who I am; I know that I would be a great asset to any organization because I am reliable, hardworking, quick, intuitive, positive, and I get along with everyone. I truly enjoy building those work/friend relationships. I just have to figure out how to show others who I am in 45-60 minutes under nerve racking, high pressure conditions. Confidence, confidence, confidence!

3 comments:

  1. Well written lize. By the way, you're blog is really starting to exemplify you well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thanks Lee!! It's comin along...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Liz, this particular post sums you up so well! You took a difficult experience and went below the surface to discover deeper insights about yourself. This prompted me to think about my own life and some similar feelings that I had, but never thought about in this way.

    ReplyDelete