The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

April 9, 2011

Ready, set, run!

Like this picture of me??? HAH! Kidding, it's not me, but I know I had you all fooled ; ) I have been diligently going at my workout regime but am not quite here yet, nor will I ever be due to, ummmm -- large bust, yeah.

Now I have never been a runner, so anyone who, like me, never thought they could run...for pleasure...well I'm here to tell you that you can. For most of my life I have been very active but always as a dancer or part of team like softball or basketball. Dancing is the polar opposite form of exercise to running. You're body is engaged in completely different ways. I could dance for 3-4 hours at an intensive rehearsal, but not run for 5 minutes. Crazy, no? But it's true, at least for me.

I started running about 3 years ago and have been doing it on and off ever since. I find that whenever I manage to stick to it and run at least 3-4 times a week for a few months, I WILL lose weight. So here's the deal, at first it will be tough. Your feet, your shins, your calves, your ankles will be screaming in pain and pleading with you to stop. Don't push it. Just try to go a little further every time you run. Soon you will become stronger and be able to run farther than you ever thought possible. And here's the kicker that I would have never believed if someone had told me years ago, it actually feels good to get out and run - you will like it and become addicted (in a good way).

I know it's hard to make that mental switch in the brain allowing you to accept your regime and stick to it. I went for a run today and thought more about this "mental switch." I've realized that if I give my self the choice of whether to work out or not, that is, if I ask myself "do I feel like working out right now?" the answer will most often be, well "no, i don't." So don't give yourself the option, instead realize that if you don't fit that exercise in today you WILL NOT move forward toward your goal.

I kept telling myself that I have a goal, and that is to look and feel better, no GREAT, so in order to do so I need to work out, now. So instead of asking "do I feel like it?" I ask myself, "what time is it now? what are my options for working out with the time I have?" And then I just do it. You have to find a way to include it in your daily life, just like dinner or your favorite TV show. You don't have to think about fitting these things in, you just do it automatically. That is how it needs to be when integrating a workout schedule into your life. And I will always fail if I go overboard. 5-6 days a week just isn't going to happen consistently, and eliminating sugar and carbs is simply crazy. It is about integrating achievable health and exercise goals into your life in a way that is realistic for you to stick with. I have tried going at it very hard core, VERY hard core, but it never works out. Long-term health effects always out-way short-terms results, in my opinion. UNLESS you are going on vacation to the tropics and simply must look phenomenal in your bikini, then by all means, do what ya gotta do.

I hope this helps to encourage those of you struggling to make that mental switch. It definitely comes from within, but if you have a goal and want to reach it, sitting on the couch won't get you there.


Life is short and it is meant to be enjoyed. So don't cut out things that you love in the pursuit of a perfect body. Find a balance and a way to create harmony.

3 comments:

  1. great post, Eliza :) I am SOOOOO not a runner, and totally agree with being just fine dancing for hours on end. I love your blog, BTW. Thanks for sharing on FB, and glad to see a fellow blogger - that I ACTUALLY know in person - online! Hope SF is treating you well! xoxoxo-desi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks Desi! That really means a lot!! SF has been fab, still haven't made it to a dance class but I definitely will go soon. Do you have a blog too? Do share...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh found it! Awesome, I'll definitely keep an eye on it ; )

    ReplyDelete