The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

August 11, 2010

If something sounds too good to be true...it probably is!

A few days ago I thought my life was about to take off; I was going to launch into a new and exciting career. I thought my lucky break had come. I received a call from a sales and marketing firm called American Business Consultants, based out of Westlake, and was asked to come in for an interview. The woman on the phone asked me some preliminary questions over the phone, which I answered with confidence and grace. We set up a time for me to interview with the hiring manager, and she said I should dress business-professional. After looking over the company's website I decided that it was the perfect opportunity for me, and I simply HAD to get this job!

I googled business-professional and realized that i needed a business suit! Ewwwww, haha. I couldn't even imagine myself in one, but I felt determined. Also, in preparation for the interview I researched "typical" interview questions online and practiced them over and over again in my head as well as writing all my thoughts down on paper. I thought about all my relevant work experiences and talked to my parents about the marketing industry. I was doing my homework...

One day prior to the interview my mom and I went on a shopping excursion in Thousand Oaks and searched high and low for an outfit that I didn't feel like a total impostor in! This wasn't easy let me tell you...I felt like it was Halloween and I was dressing up as a Successful Business Woman. Eeeeeeeek! It proved difficult at first, but then I started finding some very cute options that made me feel professional, but still like myself. It was strange shopping for a "new genre" of clothing but after a while it became an exciting venture. I also got a makeover at Bobby Brown and made some smart makeup purchases. I got everything I needed for my best possible presentation at the interview, and I felt ready to impress.

Well, unfortunately I never ended up at the interview. After my exhausting day of "preparation" I went online to do some last minute research and couldn't believe what I found. Apparently there are organizations that pray on recent college grads eager to find work. I found review, after review, after review, about how this organization, which is affiliated with Cydcor, is basically a "cultish" organization and a scam. It's tricky though, because it is a real organization, but it's structured as an organizational pyramid; basically there are a few people at the top who make big money because they are getting a piece of what everyone else is making below them, and those at the bottom are pretty much slaves. I read about how people work 12 hour days and are brainwashed and forced to make work their number 1 priority in life. Many people said they were paid less than minimum wage and had to wait weeks until receiving their first paycheck. Additionally, on the company's website they stress "face-to-face" interaction, which is great, except that this actually means door to door sales. Ugh.

The organization is not technically a scam because it is real, and people can make a lot of money, but it is not the kind of organization I would want to be apart of. Did I mention that I didn't even apply for the job!? They reached out to me. If an organization is really as wonderful as they claim to be, they would be receiving tons of applications and "reaching out" on careerbuilder.com wouldn't be necessary. Really confusing stuff actually, but in the days since I've received a couple of emails from employers who have looked over my resume and qualify me as a "desirable candidate." Well right away I researched the organizations and "SCAM SCAM SCAM" is all I see. It's incredible! As if it's not miserable enough trying to find a job.

I know I have to stay positive and not be discouraged by fraudulent organizations, but be careful out there. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

5 comments:

  1. Eliza my love, I have a solution for you. . . . . . come to England!! You can be our lodger! (",) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliza, I remember reading about Jenna Fischer of The Office going for an "acting" interview that turned out not to be acting at all....pretty young things like you really have to watch out! These are actually great experiences for you, even shopping for business professional. You are going to find a great job, and it may or may not be your next job, but eventually, you will find it! I have total confidence in your amazing personality! Lots of love, xoxox, Aunt Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how to post this other than anonymous - I still find this really confusing - Aunt Shelley, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aunt Shelley! Actually if you select Name/URL under "Comment as" you can just write your name, skip the URL part, and comment as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one amazing lady! The right thing will come along for you, and they will be lucky to have you. You kept the work outfit, didn't you? One of these days you'll need it! I learn new things from you every week. Love you.

    ReplyDelete