The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

March 19, 2011

A Moment For Japan


I'll admit, at times my mind wants to simply wander freely in lala land and pretend like everything is right in the world, after all, I am in no imminent danger here with my family in Oregon. But of course, in my heart of hearts I know that it isn't right to pretend. Everything is not okay in the world, far far from it. Gosh, it is just so sad. Aside from the terror that has engulfed Japan, terrible injustice is happening to peaceful protestors in Yemen and Libya. Perhaps inspired by the Egyptian people who had had enough, it seems that a domino-effect is taking place in regards to people rising up against oppressive conditions, and demanding democracy.

I almost feel guilty to have it so good. But instead of feeling guilty I need to make awareness an important part of my life - always be up to date, informed. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with everything going on, and to be honest, so much of what we hear is unbearably sad and often times we would rather be blissfully unaware. But this is wrong when you think about what people go through. If it was me in one of these desperate situations I would feel incredibly disgusted and heart-broken to know others who had it good were just too naive to care. I certainly don't want to be like that.

I strongly encourage you to check out nytimes.com if you haven't already. There are some incredible pictures that show you exactly what is going on -- the devastation inflicted on so many thousands of people. Please take a moment...


As if earthquake and tsunami weren't enough, now there is fear of a nuclear meltdown. So as the Japanese sift through the rubble that was once their homes and grieve over the loss of friends and family, they must also fear nuclear radiation. As a result the whole world is in fear of the radiation that is leaking from Japanese nuclear plants. It seems however that the radiation will dissipate before it actually reaches us here on the west coast, thereby strongly reducing the danger to us. Fear however is taking shape. There has been a surge in the demand for potassium iodide here in America, which is a drug that can protect people from radiation-induced thyroid cancer. Personally however, I believe the radiation will not reach us at such dangerous levels - I think all of these iodide tablets need to be a priority for Japanese and nearby countries who are at serious risk. I hope that they are receiving priority right now, not us.

This child....



Can't even imagine....

To be blissfully unaware is to live a life that is shallow and empty. Each day I realize this more and more. I am filled with gratitude, for life is a blessing and should never be taken for granted.

1 comment: