The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

March 17, 2011

A Peak At The Past

This time last year I was shouting "ozzy ozzy ozzy, oi oi oi," drinking delicious cappuccinos, wandering the streets of Melbourne, driving the Great Ocean Road, and rummaging around eclectic markets and lying on the beaches in Sydney.

I also walked into the path of a highly poisonous King Brown snake and barely escaped with my life only to nearly kill myself from the anxiety of losing my wallet in the middle of Australia (I was in Alice Springs, literally smack dab in the middle); I experienced fear of not having a place to sleep at night, and at one time found myself fighting with airline attendants to let me fly! It was an incredible trip to say the least, but challenging no doubt.

There were moments when I found out truly who I was, particularly in those most trying.

While traveling I made sure to send out emails to my friends and family back home. I chronicled my journey and I couldn't be more grateful for the interaction I had with those who wrote back to me. At many times they brought me so much strength.

I thought it would be fun to take a look at some of these emails from my trip. They offer a true reflection of what I was going through at the time.

Happy reading!

Check out my sandwich making skills!
January 14, 2010


Hiiiiiiiiii everyone! I miss you guys. So it's been a week and a half now...what have I been up to? Lots and lots and lots.

Things are getting settled (well, sortof). I got a job! Today was my 2nd day, and it's, well, very hard work. Doesn't sound hard, but what I am is a sandwich maker! haha. We make sandwiches for all the little cafes in the neighborhood. There are lots of nice people that work there, and a couple very rude people, but I try to ignore them. I have to be at work at 7am Monday thru Friday! That's right, this lazy bum is getting up very early, and it's very hard for me. boohooo, i know i know, poor me. I've also arranged to stay in an apartment in St Kilda, which is a really cool beach community about 20 minutes from Melbourne. I really like it there. These apartments are for short term renters, so there's no deposit or lease, and it's going to be much cheaper than staying in hostels. I'm sharing the "flat" with 4 other girls, and theres a nice kitchen, living room, etc. So it will be more homey than staying in a hostel as well. So not only will I have to be at work at 7am, but i'll need to commute there by tram at 6:30am! sheeeeeeeeeez louiiiiiiiiiiiiiise! I'm trying to look for a little part-time babysitting as well. If anyone randomly knows someone out here who needs a sitter, LET ME KNOW.

My awesome co-worker, Svenia!
I've made friends with a French girl (just left for New Zealand today, so that's a shame, but I may get the chance to visit her in her hometown of France, Champagne specifically (!) when I go traveling there), and also a Scottish girl and a girl from Germany who I really like. I randomly met someone from SF but he's going off on the WWOOF thing most of the time (Willing Workers On Organic Farms). Speaking of that, I got a membership as well! So after maybe a month or so here, I'm hoping to do a little traveling around the country, and keep it cheap by staying with families along the way. I was thinking about going to Tasmania, Adelaide, Alice Springs/Ayers Rock, Byron Bay, and then Sidney. But we shall see!




It's great to be here, and I'm really enjoying this   country, but I do miss home. Get a little homesick from time to time, but am really going to embrace this opportunity. If anyone wants to come visit I'd be thrilled!






Always enjoying my daily cappucinos (soooooo much better here!), and lots of people watching, and the beach of course!

Love you guys soooooooooo much!
xoxoxxoeliza









2 comments:

  1. Lize I love you soooooo much and I love reading your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mar that means so much. I love you too!!

    ReplyDelete