The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

April 26, 2011

Are risks worth the risk?

Yes, worth it, way worth it! It's good knowing when to play it safe, but our intuition is a driving force for clarity; why ignore that (sometimes pesky) inner voice?

I recently made a rather risky decision - depending on how you look at it - but I got some great advice, followed my intuition, and I don't think I'll regret a thing.

I'm so thrilled to be where I am right now. I'm loving the whirlwind that has engulfed my life. It's crazy to think that just a year ago I was globe-trotting -- wandering around aimlessly to my heart's content. I love traveling and am always looking forward to the next adventure, but for right now, I'm ready to get a little settled. Not settled in the 'lets get married, have kids, move to a suburb and grow a garden' kind of way, but in the sense that I'm ready to be grounded and in one place for a while.

I love where I am right now. I've been wanting to move to SF for SO LONG, and I'm finally here! I love meeting new people and am having a blast as a freelancer working for a fabulous company.

How did I finally get here? How was I able to make the move rather than just talk about making the move? Well you asked, so I'll be honest. Ultimately I came to SF knowing I wanted to live here, but my application to grad school at SFSU is what actually got me here. I came with the presumption that I would undoubtedly be accepted. I even began Bartending School because I thought it would be the best job to have as a grad-student. As fate would have it, I did NOT get in (bitches....jk!). Actually, I'm happy I didn't get in; no really, I am! Because if I had been accepted, I would have probably wound up back in school. But the thing is, in my heart of hearts I knew what I truly wanted to do, and as fate would have it, I am doing it!

School is great, but it's round the clock....and so much work....for no pay! Not saying it's a bad thing, not at all - it's great for a lot of people, and I may find myself back at it one day, but for now I am right where I want to be. I am working for an awesome company, living in a fabulous apartment with some of my best friends (in SF no less), earning money, and having fun. No papers to stress about or tests to study for. I loved school, but I was ready to move on and I couldn't quite do that in Ventura. Here in SF I can, and I am. Yaay!

When we take risks, particularly the kind that are motivated by our gut instincts and heart, the positive will soon unravel, sometimes in unexpectedly exciting ways. Who knows if I would have ever made it to SF had I known that I would not get into grad school. It would have been a lot harder to justify coming all this way.

Sometimes in life it's better to go with the safe bet because security is important; other times risks are worth taking. There is something very exciting about being in the here and now with every move you make; I am a surfer riding the wave of life - sometimes I'll fall but I'll always get right back up and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment