The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

April 20, 2011

Forget waxing, bring on the cotton thread

Thought I would cue you in to my latest obsession, ya know, since I am so up-to-date and in-the-know -- a fierce trend-setter -- all about the latest-and-greatest, strut'in my stuff thinkin I got swag when everyone else is like "NAGL" (for those of you not hip to the fashion-street-beat, that is an abbreviation for Not A Good Look....duh!) don't hate!

.....WOW I just had way too much fun with that sentence. I'm not "fierce" (although I can be, rawrr); I'm usually the one thinking "NAGL" about others, but not to judge of course - it's bold for people to dress in a way that others don't necessarily....get? I usually secretly covet the image of those with serious glam power who can pull off looks I could never in a million years. I think it's cool. Power to the cheeky, spunkadelick,  swag-tacularglamalicious people!

Clearly what this post is really about, is the desire to create my own language (imagine my surprise when I actually found "definitions" - some don't really fit but you get the idea).

Sorry I digress....

A few days after threading, no irritation, and the beginnings
of an actual arch. Note, I have 2 completely different
eyebrows, so yes, I know they're not symmetrical, but
getting there! Slowly getting there!
This post is about Eyebrow Threading. And I love it. I am someone with very bushy eyebrows that grow like weeds. It's obnoxious. I look back on pictures when I'm 12-14 years old and shudder at the Frida look I was obviously trying to pull off at the time. Since then I have been plucking, and I mean everyday, it's such a never ending hassle. Literally to go more than one day without plucking my brows would mean....gahhh, let's not go there. Bottom line, it's annoying. But I've tried waxing, and to be honest, I would rather pluck. I always leave feeling greasy and irritation in the form of redness and little bumps almost immediately follows. And ultimately, it doesn't last long.

Threading is an ancient method with origins in the Middle and Far East. It doesn't use any irritating chemicals or oily creams making the process much more affordable as the only tool they use is a cotton thread. The only way I can think to describe it is, picture a Cat's Cradle. Remember that game with the string? When in the basic position, it forms an X and by pulling your hands further apart the X becomes  more narrow. If you can imagine it, this is how they remove the hairs, by sort of twisting and removing the hairs from the follicle. It's a very quick, albeit painful process. But you get used to it, and hey, no pain no gain!

I have had my eyebrows and upper lip threaded, and I'm telling you it lasts so much longer than anything I've ever tried. Aside from a random little hair here and there, I went for 2 weeks without needing to even think about my brows! Do you hear me!? TWO WHOLE WEEKS! You all probably think I'm crazy, but for me this is miraculous, I can't even tell you. I was impressed. And there is no redness, no irritation - just 5-10 minutes of tear-jerking pain (you can take it!). They will usually add some aloe, or a gentle cream at the end.

Sometimes they will also give you a nice little eyebrow massage, depending on where you go.

I am really into this, incase you couldn't tell. I think it's great. If anyone out there is like me and does not like to spend so much time plucking away those annoying little hairs, but does so to avoid resembling Groucho Marx, consider threading!

Here is a link to the SF Salon: M&M Thread Salon SF
-$10.00 eyebrow
-$10.00 upper lip

Salon in Ventura (I know, there's a threading salon in Ventura!??): Layla Threading
-$11.00 eyebrow
-$6.00 upper lip

Word to the wise, let them know it is your first time and you'd like someone who is gentle and experienced. In SF you'll have no problem, but I went to Layla's in Ventura and had a woman who was fine, but rushed through the process (making it a bit more painful) and I noticed that it wasn't quite as clean as when I went to M&M in SF. Just be sure to tell them exactly what you want. I say that I don't want my brows to be any thinner, just clean 'em up and a little shaping. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

4 comments:

  1. You're crazy Eliza. I don't go two whole weeks without thinking about my eyebrows, I go my whole life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, lucky you!! The lucky ones never understand......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I'm with you Lily, can't remember the last time I've taken a pair tweezers to my eyebrows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess Leah and I missed out on this lucky gene...

    ReplyDelete