The Journaler

This, in some ways, is a window to my soul: my book is open. This is an honest reflection where I embrace the highs and lows, ups and downs, roller coaster of emotions I am often riding, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly...but this is me, and this is my adventure...By revealing myself honestly I hope to inspire and encourage, because we all struggle sometimes and it's nice to know we're not alone. This is my experience as a small town girl living in a big city, trying to make my way while taking lots and lots of detours...

April 17, 2011

TLC and a little perspective

2 Trees, Ventura
Awe to be home and in the tender loving care of your family. This weekend I decided to come home because, well let's face it - I'm a "Venturian," always have been and always will be - us "Venturians" can never seem to stay away for long. My lazy but vibrant little beach town, right off the 101, lies in between Santa Barbara and LA truly capturing the best of both worlds. Beach, mountains, and good energy pretty much sums up Ventura to me.

I'm loving San Francisco, but Ventura will always be home and fill me with the *warm fuzzies* every time I'm back. For now however, SF is where I want to be. It's certainly been a change of pace, but a welcomed one. I'm 25 and at a time in my life where I want to be caught up in the hustle and bustle of a big city. But I'm lucky because where I live allows access to all the best the city has to offer. I can see the Civic Center from my apartment, but am right across from Golden Gate Park and just a few blocks from the beach! Not to mention, there is a Trader Joes and Bevmo close by, and come on, who can live without such essentials!? 

Although it was scary to move away from home, good things have been happening, as I knew they would. I've been working for an energetic, cutting edge company allowing me to jump right in to the frenzy and feel like a contributing member of society. The work has been invigorating and challenging. I love getting home at the end of a full day and pouring myself a well deserved, tall glass of wine and truly "unwinding." This of course is not a new element to my life, we all know I am a lover of the vine, but I appreciate it even more after a "day at the office." My oh my, is this girl starting to sound grown up or what!?

All the things I've been hoping and envisioning my life to look like, are beginning to manifest, and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about the decisions I've made and the direction I'm going. I know there's no such thing as smooth sailing - there are sure to be many more bumps in the road - but I'm finally feeling more decisive and I think it's because I am listening to my heart and following my intuition. I'm allowing myself to see the bigger picture, thus taking some weight off of all the little things that so often don't matter at all, but are the things we stress endlessly about. Doing Bikram yoga has opened my eyes and is enabling me to put things into perspective. It's one of the healthiest things I've done for myself in a long time, and I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

I want to wrap up with a message my dad has taped to his dash, something he looks at every day when he is driving. It represents an idea I am learning more and more about and would encourage everyone to keep in mind as well.

"SEEK JOY."

3 comments:

  1. Lize! I feel the same way about Ventura of course. But I also feel that moving to a bigger city was the right decision for me as well. You don't appreciate your small quiet town till your gone. I'm so happy I got to see you this weekend. I would do anything to be able to stay one more night and have a glass of wine and relax. Ahhhhhh, Ventura, such an amazing place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you figured out how to comment! Thanks Kenz, I'm so glad I got to spend time with you too, we had such a fun weekend, and I miss you already! Can't wait for the next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Lize, Ventura truly is a unique little gem...By the by Leaf and I are coming to play with you and Mack & Ryan in august during Outside Lands..If that's ok... I wish I could had a relaxing vino night with you girls. Glad you two had a fun weekend :)
    - Madz

    ReplyDelete